My neighbor’s little daughter came running up to me and was singing the song, ‘I am Australian’. The song is jam packed with intense meaning. This reminded me that Australia Day is approaching. Hope you liked my blog, Chocolate Lamington, which is also a traditional Australian cake. Today I’ll serve you with classic and spicy Aussie treat. I am very fond of meat recipes. The yummilicious Aussie Meat Pie is a small pie, filled with ground beef, onions and gravy. It is mostly topped with tomato sauce to compliment with the crazy crust. Vegemite is also used in the recipe. Vegemite is delectable Australian spread that is made from used brewer's yeast.
Meat pie is considered an iconic food in Australia and New Zealand and is served for sure on the auspicious Australia Day. Even after lot of innovative goodies coming up every year, the pie continues to have top ranking in the heart and mind of millions. These traditional pies make a delectable party and picnic food as they are simple to make and easy to serve. Meat pies are popular in different cuisines example Nigerian, British, Lebanese, Australian. The ingredients, method and flavor vary from place to place. Here it goes…
1 beaten Egg,
3/4 cup Beef Stock,
3/4 cup Tomato sauce,
1 tablespoon Cornflour,
1 teaspoon Vegemite,
1 tablespoon Olive Oil,
1 chopped Brown Onion,
1 tablespoon Barbecue sauce,
500 grams minced Lean Beef,
2 sheets thawed frozen Puff pastry,
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce,
2 sheets thawed frozen shortcrust pastry.
1. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook until soft. Add minced beef. Cook for 4 minutes. Stir until brown.
2. In another bowl, mix cornflour and 1 tablespoon of stock to form smooth paste. Add the remaining stock. Now add stock, sauces and Vegemite to the mince. Bring it to boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 8-10 minutes. Cool the mixture.
3. Preheat the oven to 220 D. C. Place a baking tray into oven. Grease the pie pans.
4. Cut circles from shortcrust pastry as desired. Fill with the beef mince. Brush the rims with water. Cut circles from puff pastry. Place over meat. Press to seal. Trim the rest. Brush with egg and then season.
5. Place pies onto hot tray. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy the meaty treat.