Monday 27 April 2015

Sansa Stark and her Love for Lemon Cake

Do you like always write on festivals?”
Oops. Thanks. I’ll make sure that I change my ‘routine’ ASAP”, I replied with a confused smile.
She was my 23 year old neighbor. This conversation happened before my Jazz Fest and Jambalaya blog. I needed to move on from Festivals. “I’m going to watch Game of Thrones. Talk later” she said this and hurried to her home. Game of Thrones is an American fantasy drama television series, loved by millions.

Voila! It helped. I was on a GOT marathon and consequently fell in love with “Jaqen H'ghar”, mumbling ‘Valar Morghulis’ at almost everything. This marathon ceased after the 4th season . I called her up and she was like “This is the year when they air season 5. They actually started it and two episodes are out”. Immense relief! There is one character which I noticed has grown up from a sweet little beautiful girlie girl to a damsel in distress and gradually to an alert and an astute woman when wisdom and tragedies hit her hard. Irrespective of all the troubles she has been through (including Joffrey), she walked through fire with tears and survived. Partly because of her will to survive and partly because of Lemon Cakes. When Lady Olenna of House Tyrell offers lemon cake to a ‘sad’ Sansa-
Olenna Tyrell: "Shall we have some lemon cakes?"
Sansa Stark: "Lemon cakes are my favorite."
Olenna Tyrell: "So we've been told."
I was like ok, people know this affair. Even Little finger tries to woo her by offering Lemon Cakes.
They are appetizing enough for me to try them in my kitchen. I love cake recipes. So let us make these Lemon Cakes for this sweet damsel in distress.

Ingredients for Cake:-
6 Eggs,
1 teaspoon Salt,
1 cup Sour Cream,
1 cup Unsalted Butter,
1 teaspoon Baking Soda,
3 cups All-purpose Flour,
1/3 cup Fresh Lemon Juice,
2 tablespoons Lemon Zest,
2 1/2 cups Granulated Sugar.
Preparation Method for Cake:-
1. Preheat oven to 350 D.C. Take a pan and butter and flour it. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, lemon zest, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
2. In a blender, beat butter and granulated sugar for 5 minutes. Add eggs. Mix in lemon juice.
Keep adding flour mixture and sour cream, until incorporated. Do not overmix. Add to the bundt cake pan.
3. Bake until knife inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Bake for 50 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes.
4. Turn out onto a rack to cool completely. Poke holes all over the cooled cake, and brush with lemon icing.
5. If the cake does not absorb all the syrup at once, allow to sit for 20 minutes before continuing to brush with any remaining syrup.
Ingredients for Lemon Icing:-
1/2 cup butter,
2 tablespoons lemon juice,
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract,
3 cups confectioners' sugar.
Preparation Method for Lemon Icing:-
1. Combine butter, lemon juice, vanilla, and sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.
2. Add more sugar or lemon juice. Adjust the consistency as needed.

Enjoy “Game of Thrones” with authentic Lemon Cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment