Thursday 23 April 2015

Novak Djokovic and his Gluten Free Journey

These are hard times for all the health conscious people, including me. I say hard times because almost everything can be harmful for health, so what should we go for or not go for? I won’t answer for ‘what should we go for’ as I’ll end up a mentioning a lot of recipes, ironically making the whole meal “NOT” so very healthy. As far as ‘what should we NOT go for’ is concerned, a diet containing Gluten should be avoided. I haven’t implemented this yet but was simply thinking why not including gluten free diet twice or thrice in a week (whenever I can), so that even if I or you have to turn on to a complete gluten free diet, it can be done hassle free. This world number one tennis player, Novak Djokovic, suffered a lot before going for a gluten free diet. Gluten, which is found in wheat, barley and rye was affecting his metabolism. Eventually he was diagnosed as gluten intolerant and shifted to gluten free diet.

Consider someone whose parents own a pizza restaurant but son is sensitive to gluten. Sad! But his hard work and results after going gluten free are evident enough to make me think twice. I was going through a book, Serve Serve to Win, wherein Djokovic says - “What amazed me the most was how simple these changes were to make, and how dramatic the results were. All I did was eliminate gluten - the protein found in wheat - for a few days, and my body instantly felt better. I was lighter, quicker, clearer in mind and spirit. After two weeks, I knew that my life had changed. I sprang out of bed, ready to tear into the day ahead. And I realized that I had to share what I’d learned with others.” I can’t recall when was the last time I sprang out of bed, but let me try this healthy gluten-free recipe. Anyone, anytime may require turning to a gluten-free diet. Let’s practice now onwards.
Gluten-free Curry Noodles Soup
Ingredients:-
1 fresh Red Chilli,
200 ml Coconut Milk,
3.5 cm sliced Ginger,
1 teaspoon Turmeric,
1 litre Chicken Stock,
150 grams Rice Noodles,
1 teaspoon Brown Sugar,
2 tablespoons Lime juice,
1 teaspoon Tamarind paste,
2 tablespoons Thai Fish Sauce,
250 grams stir fry mix Vegetables,
150 grams cooked diced Chicken.
For Garnishing:-
2 Curry Leaves,
1 chopped Red Chilli,
1 piece chopped lemongrass.
Preparation Method:-
1. Take a pan and heat the chicken stock.
2. Boil the noodles in another pan. Drain water and set aside.
3. Add the remaining ingredients, except the vegetables, to the pan and bring to a boil.
4. When the chicken is hot, add the vegetables. When they are tender, add the drained noodles.
5. Divide the noodles between bowls. Pour the soup over them.
6. Serve sprinkled with curry leaves, red chili and lemongrass.
 The Gluten-free diet can be so yummilicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment