The Vegetarian Festival of Phuket, Thailand is celebrated each year at the end of September to beginning of October, which lasts for nine days. The largest island of Thailand, named as ‘Pearl of the South’ looks spectacular on this fest. On this fest, the Chinese community considers the event as the beginning of the month of ‘Taoist Lent’, according to which the followers of the Tao, restrict themselves from eating meat and meat products. The main centre where the festival is celebrated is Jui Tui temple. It is the oldest and well renowned temple of Phuket. Highlights include:
- Walking on hot coals
- Climbing knife-blade ladders
- Piercing skin with sharp tools
I thought of making something out of tofu for the vegans/vegetarians. Hope you liked my vegan recipe ideas for Father's Day special. You can smartly substitute almond with peanuts, for the people allergic to peanuts. Tofu can be deep fried directly or you can have it as follows.
Fried Tofu with Peanut Dipping Sauce Recipe
For Deep Fried Tofu
1 pound Tofu,
Oil for deep frying as needed,
4 tablespoons Cornstarch or Flour.
- Drain the tofu. Cut the tofu into triangles or squares as desired. Roll the tofu in the cornstarch or flour. Heat wok and add oil for deep frying. Heated the oil to 350 D. F.
- Fry, until the tofu is golden on both sides. Remove with a skimmer spoon and drain on paper towels. Keep warm while frying the remaining tofu.
- Serve with Chinese-Style Peanut Sauce.
For Chinese-Style Peanut Sauce
1 pinch Salt,
2 tablespoons Sugar,
2 tablespoons Vinegar,
7 sprigs sliced Cilantro,
1 teaspoon ground fresh Chili paste,
2 tablespoons toasted and crushed Peanuts.
- Take a large microwave bowl to prevent over boiling. In a microwavable bowl, combine sugar, ground fresh chili paste, salt and vinegar. Heat up for a minute or till sugar is dissolved.
- Stir the sauce with a spoon to blend all the ingredients in. Add the crushed, toasted peanuts and top with the sliced cilantro.