Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi popularly known as Mahatma Gandhi, was the preeminent leader of Indian independence movement when Britishers ruled India. I admire his quote, "Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony". Happiness has many definitions. For most of us happiness is love, and for me happiness is “Love for Food”. BTW did you know some of the food that Mahatma Gandhi relished includes yogurt, brinjal, radish, beetroot, bottle gourd and fruit juice?
DYK that Mahatma Gandhi was strict vegetarian? Mahatma Gandhi relished simple Indian food such as daal, rice and chappati. Daal, dhal or dal is lentils stew or curry. Hope you enjoyed my Indian recipe cooked with lentils called “Dalma”. Among the desserts, Mahatma Gandhi relished Peda. Peda is traditional Indian milk fudge sweet. So let's celebrate Gandhi Jayanti or birthday of the "Father of the Nation" with delicious Peda.
1 pinch of Saffron,
¾ cup Milk Powder,
4 Green Cardamoms,
1 pinch of Nutmeg Powder,
200 grams Condensed Milk,
½ tablespoon Clarified Butter.
1. Mix condensed milk, milk powder plus clarified butter in a microwave bowl. Blend well and make sure that no lumps are left out. Crush cardamoms in to a fine powder. Discard the peels.
2. Microwave the mixture on high for a minute. Add cardamom powder, nutmeg powder and saffron. Stir this, microwave on high for a minute. Remove and stir again.
3. Microwave for 20 seconds on high, then check. If the mixture looks a bit liquid, microwave it for next 20 seconds. The mixture will thicken automatically.
4. If the mixture still has moisture and is in liquid form, then microwave again on high for 20 seconds.
5. When the mixture becomes warm, shape it into small balls. If the mixture is sticky, apply some oil or clarified butter while shaping into small balls. You can also give them beautiful shape with the help of cookie mould, creating an impression on the top as I have done.
6. On cooling, store these sweets in an airtight box. Refrigerate. Serve the milk pedas/milk fudge sweet when required.
Enjoy birthday of Father of the Nation with milk fudge sweet!