The highlight of Holi certainly begins with Rabri and Malpua. Hope you liked the delicious rabri recipe that we shared last time. Malapua is a popular sweet served on the religious festival, Holi. Malapua is an pancake served as a dessert or a snack. Let's have a look at this sumptuous Indian dessert.
For the Syrup:-
1 cup sugar,
1 cup water,
1/2 tsp cardamom powder.
For the Malpua:-
500 gms all purpose flour,
1/2 tsp baking powder,
400 gms sweetened condensed milk,
Slivered almonds and pistachios to garnish,
1. Mix milk and 1 cup of sugar in a thick-bottomed pan. Cook to reduce it to a fourth of its original volume while stirring frequently.
2. Remove it from the fire, allow cooling and then chill it in the refrigerator. Mix equal quantity of sugar and water in a pan. Boil it until a single-thread consistency is obtained.
3. Add cardamom powder, saffron threads and mix well. Keep it aside to use later. In a large mixing bowl, blend the condensed milk, flour and baking powder together to form a smooth batter.
4. Meanwhile heat enough clarified butter in a deep frying pan to cook the malpuas. Pour the batter into the clarified butter to form circles about 4 inch in diameter.
5. Cook till golden brown. Remove from the clarified butter and put directly into the sugar syrup. Remove after 3 minutes and drain on a wire rack.
6. Now to serve, place 2 malpuas in a plate, spoon rabri over them and garnish with slivered nuts.Enjoy Holi with delectable malpua!!